An agency’s most vital asset is its clients. Without them, we couldn’t survive.
When clients are happy, they help us grow – not only by continuing to do business with us, but also by recommending us to others.
Not surprisingly, I consider customer service to be a crucial part of my job.
But whether you’re customer-facing or not, spreading the ethos of great customer service throughout your organisation pays dividends.
Just look at the success of retailer John Lewis, where ‘going the extra mile’ is the norm, rather than the exception.
In my role, I like to live by a few basic but golden rules:
· Listen and then ask questions; concentrate on what the client is really saying
· Pay close attention to their words, tone of voice and body language. Never assume that you intuitively know what they want
· Communicate regularly so that you are aware of problems or needs. Encourage and welcome suggestions about how you could improve
· Make clients feel important and appreciated. Always remember your manners – ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ only take a second but mean a lot
· Over-deliver. Think of ways to stand out above your competition and show the client you really care
I’d love to hear what works for you.